Manslaughter has turned out to be a prevalent trend in modern day society. When the death of a family member is caused as a result of someone else’s negligence act, the feeling is better imagined than experienced. Though one is at liberty to sue and demand compensation for this negligence or sheer ignorance on the part of the person involved.
How Wrongful Deaths Occur
Wrongful death usually occurs as a result of either gross negligence or misconduct of another party. Some of the situations include:
- Emergency Room Medical Malpractice
Wrongful death is not a strange occurrence in the hospital’s emergency room. It often occurs as a result of negligence on the part of medical personnel with issues like wrong diagnosis, costly errors during surgical operations or discharging a patient prematurely.
- Anesthesia Malpractice
Wrong deaths also occur in situations whereby an anesthesiologist wrongly prescribes an anesthetic dosage. This prescription could be in excess or too little to cause death wrongly.
- Vehicle accidents
Auto accidents are a common occurrence in the society these days, in cases where sub-standard products are used in production of a particular vehicle; the manufacturers are liable for any form of fatality as a result of their ignorance.
Motorists are implored to take necessary traffic precautions while driving. In a situation whereby a motorist causes the death of pedestrian, such motorist will be held liable in the event that the family of the deceased decide to pursue a legal case and compensation will be fully paid for the loss the motorist caused.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
There are many causes of wrongful death, but the major causes are accidents, proliferation of substandard products, medical malpractices and construction accidents.
Product Liability Wrongful Death
The product liability law clearly states the legal standards that manufacturers and distributors must abide with. These standards are set to guarantee the safety of consumers as regards the quality of products being used. In a case where a manufacturer or distributor bypasses these standards and produces substandard goods which then results to the death of a consumer after use, the party involved will be sanctioned and the law will be allowed to take its full course. It is the responsibility of a manufacturer to ensure their goods are safe for public use.
How to Find a Wrongful Death Attorney
- Consult with people closest to you including your friends and colleagues to find a lawyer with the knowledge to handle your case
- Arrange a meeting with the attorney you wish to hire, this offers you the chance to know if the attorney will deliver and meet up with your requirements.
- Make enquiries about the attorney’s experience when it comes to litigation matters. It is necessary to know the kind of attorney you are dealing with.
- You must endeavor to inquire about the legal firm’s customer service. In bigger organizations, senior lawyers with busy schedule may assign your case to a junior lawyer, so you want to be prepared.
- Run a background check on the lawyer you chose. This will enable you get an insight into his antecedents as a lawyer. You could also familiarize yourself with cases he has handled in the past.